Username: Password: Remember me Lost Password / Register

World Domination is coming back

Games Forums > Browser Games > World Domination is coming back
  • It's in the process of being rewritten altogether. I decided against simply porting it into the new user system, as that would be nearly as much work as rewriting it to begin with.

So fear not, it will be back.

On another note for those who played the beta, if you have any ideas for improving the game now would be an excellent time to mention them, since I'll be actively coding it over the next week or two.

by harley on February 12, 2009 at 04:55am

• If there is any way to form an alliance of two countries based on votes from users of the two countries. While the forming of alliances increases the points for steals and eliminations. Then divide any points between the two. Good idea? I don't know just a thought. I think it'd be a pretty cool addition to the game.

by killjoy on February 18, 2009 at 6:12pm

• I'll have to think about how that could work. Interesting idea.

by harley on February 19, 2009 at 09:42am

• Can you explain World domination in simple terms i am a bit slow and dumb soz if this is a hassle

Chromedome1

by Chromedome1 on May 16, 2009 at 8:41pm

• I take it that this is no longer happening....

by potty on July 10, 2009 at 11:07am

• I thought that the whole site died, and then he remodeled it all...It will probably be a while now with school though.

by Ullallulloo on August 26, 2009 at 6:42pm

• Died and reborn, like a wonderful powder blue Phoenix. World Domination will be back, with some added spice, very soon.

by harley on March 4, 2011 at 08:04am

• So, when I return after 3 darn years, W.D disapeared? WTF?

by nzadamnz21 on March 12, 2011 at 8:15pm

• It took slightly (2 years) longer than expected, but it's back, new and (I hope) improved.

by harley on March 26, 2011 at 2:09pm

• My only suggestion so far is to show a little counter that says how long until you can preform your next action.

by Ullallulloo on March 28, 2011 at 11:20am

• hmm...this is a bug:

"You were able to recruit a few citizens. 0 people from Austria decided they could make a better life in England. This won't stand out, but perhaps a few people in the agency will notice your efforts. It's going to take about five minutes to wrap things up before you can assist your country again."

Not being able to recruit people isn't, but it should give a different message then.

EDIT: Actually, it'd be impossible to win if you couldn't recruit people...

by Ullallulloo on March 28, 2011 at 2:47pm

• Yeah, there was a bug in the formula using the wrong variable for a bit. I'll double check the variable for that message though. You're right it shouldn't be spitting that out if you happen to get a 0. Thanks.

by harley on March 28, 2011 at 6:21pm

• Is there some way to change the POSTDATA every time to require you to click it every time instead of just refreshing the page? Because with ReloadEvery(http://reloadevery.mozdev.org/) I can just set it to refresh every 5 min. 30 sec. and slowly wear down that Tajikistan and become invincible.

by Ullallulloo on March 28, 2011 at 6:27pm

• I'll have to check into what methods for detection I can setup. Cheating in these games is pretty much inevitable. If someone really wants to they'll find a way. I'll see if I can find something not too time consuming that addresses the obvious stuff though.

by harley on March 28, 2011 at 9:41pm

• You might notice I sliced the populations in half for the few big ones left. I need to build a new action or figure a different way to end this game, as right now anybody coming into the game couldn't join any country and couldn't do anything else.

I'm too tired to set it up right now, so I chopped all the populations. Hopefully that will allow the game to end a bit faster.

Tonight I'll think on a solution.

by harley on March 29, 2011 at 12:39am

• i cant sign into a country they are all dead
    HOW CAN I SIGN IN TO A COUNTRY!!!!

by DDD on March 30, 2011 at 4:30pm

• @DDD: Read Harley's post above you. The first game's almost over, but it's going slowly.

by Ullallulloo on March 30, 2011 at 11:59pm

• Yeah, that was my fault. There is supposed to be an action for playing a rogue to build up your domination points, and for times like that where there are no countries small enough to join as a new player. I just don't have it coded yet.

Also I tweaked the game, seeing how that last one ended. Now countries over 200 population begin losing morale regularly, so they can't stay fully defended unless someone is actively playing them.

Should cut down on the stagnation and those +2, -2 people battles.

by harley on March 31, 2011 at 3:51pm

• It would be cool to have an official IRC channel for the game. There players could forge alliances et cetera, or enjoy a bit of banter while they duke it out.

The first time in 2 years I come to this site happens to be the day WD is back up. I am pleased.

Also, it's a bit strange to have England, Scotland, and also the UK.

by tonypro on April 27, 2011 at 6:47pm

• @tonypro

Glad to see you back. I'm working on some additional options for World Domination. I'd love to get some sort of alliances structure built into the game. I haven't come up with anything stellar yet. IRC is a decent idea, some kind of live chat would be handy.

Every spare minute I get is currently going into the additional actions I had already hoped to roll out.

by harley on April 27, 2011 at 8:45pm

• a countdown timer would be a nice addition(so u can know when ur next move is)

also a number to go with the status cuz i dont know how high or low the status can go

also a chat bar would be cool

also u should be able to attack(u dont get people but the atttacked loses more than the normal)

by DDD on April 29, 2011 at 6:14pm

• Alright, I've been creating the invincible USA all day by myself. I've taken over all the countries. Now what? Boost morale again?

by Ukulele on May 15, 2011 at 7:57pm

• Nevermind, new round. (:

FOR ICELAAAAAAND!

by Ukulele on May 15, 2011 at 8:07pm

• Is there any way to see the population figures for competing nations?

by jk684 on May 19, 2011 at 12:18am

• It would really be better if there was some kind of timer to tell you when you could make the next move... but it's still good! Oh yeah, and go Greece! ;)

by Stalin on June 14, 2011 at 6:16pm

• Looks like I've won round 29...

by Stalin on June 14, 2011 at 9:15pm

• or not.

by Stalin on June 15, 2011 at 3:09pm

• Haha, sorry.

by tonypro on June 16, 2011 at 2:00pm

• Is there anywhere we could advertise to get more players?

by tonypro on June 16, 2011 at 2:06pm

• Es lebe Deutschland!!!

by Stalin on June 19, 2011 at 4:27pm

• You're welcome to advertise anywhere you can think of that might garner more players. If you frequent other forums or internet communities you're more than welcome to post the link.

Eventually I'd like to get some sort of bonus system installed for referring new players, but that might be a while. I'm slow with this stuff as I'm sure you've noticed. Still haven't gotten my awards system implemented yet.

I will look into the chat box option. As far as numbers go, I stuck with colors and words to leave a little mystery. Prosperous is the best status you can achieve, desperate is the worst. They can go a little above and below that, but it only affects how quickly the status can increase or decline, it doesn't affect the rolls for better or worse.

Country status is intentionally not shown for any country but your own. I am thinking of creating an intel type of action that would give you the status of various countries.

by harley on June 19, 2011 at 10:18pm

• It seems whenever I try to raise morale, I fail... maybe it's just bad luck though.

by Stalin on June 20, 2011 at 9:01pm

• @Stalin

Yeah, someone else told me that too. The current formula should offer an even 20% chance of failure, nothing happening, a minor boost, decent boost, or major boost.

I've never had full confidence in the randomizing features of PHP, although that's probably just superstition. Mathematically random chance can look really strange in the short term, but I wouldn't put it past something in the processing being off either.

It's the best I can do for the time being.

by harley on July 24, 2011 at 6:55pm

• My suggestion is that you stop being dumb Harley and come to Grand Rapids to drink beers with me.

Chris

by nightofthelivin on July 26, 2011 at 09:53am

• Some thoughts for you Harley:

Might be a cool idea to allow a nation to infiltrate another nation to attempt to bring down their morale.

Seems to me that the events that occur in the events log are nearly all negative. Might be a better idea to alter the percentages so that when people attempt to raise morale it is a bit more effective. At its current state it only helps in the short run.

When attempting a stronger nation it might be fun to offer a 20% or so of the time chance that they actually capture some of your members instead of always being able to recruit from any nation.

As posted above a timer would be cool.

It may be a good idea to offer some sort of package that people can purchase through paypal or with member points that would shave off a bit of time after recruitment/ morale boosting.

Military training/ recruitment training might be a good idea that could boost a nations ability to recruit from other nations.

Not a big deal, but United Kingdom encompasses Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Ireland so you may want to do away with the UK Flag and insert another nation.

by nightofthelivin on July 26, 2011 at 12:13am

• Changed accounts from Stalin to this... but I'm still lovin this game :D

by BloodyJack on September 15, 2011 at 6:26pm

• Currently transitioning to a turn-based system. That's why it's taking so long. Well, that and I'm busy.

Soon, you.

by harley on December 24, 2011 at 3:27pm

• I have transitioned World Domination to a turn-based system. The old time-based deal was an experiment more than anything, and as expected it isn't very practical for most people. I'm currently testing a couple more actions, that should be available "soon".

Several penalties have been removed, which should make morale management more reasonable: an "ensure the game will end" penalty when just three countries were left, and a "large country penalty" that sapped large countries of their morale at a ridiculous rate. Both were intended as temporary fixes while I worked out some better algorithms. Temporary turned into approximately 6 months. Sorry for that.

Also, I have beefed up the starting populations when the game resets. It should allow the games to last more than a day, since (hopefully) now more people will be inclined to play.

Awards are implemented (just not visible yet). You may have already earned awards you don't know about. No doubt the suspense is killing you. Soon!

Feel free to leave suggestions for modification/improvement.

Please let me know if you find any glitches.

by harley on January 7, 2012 at 08:31am

• When you run out of turns(i like this turns thing BTW) You should be able to play like rock paper scissors or tic tac toe or some easy game to get one turn per one win in one of those games. Just saying that would be mega helpfull

by lordofearth on January 7, 2012 at 4:18pm

• World Domination is pretty addictive. What I don't understand is why it says it will take a certain amount of time to wrap things up. I waited the first couple of times, but then realized that you really don't have to wait at all. I just rapidly start using my turns, eliminating as many countries as I can with the alloted turns. No waiting involved.

So am I supposed to be restricted to waiting my turn? Or am I just supposed to be waiting because the game says to wait?

by CamelBlues on February 14, 2012 at 7:21pm

• It used to run on a timer. Actions cost time instead of turns, so if you did action X you'd have to wait Y time before you could do anything else.

I just haven't changed out those messages from the old system yet.

by harley on March 8, 2012 at 9:47pm

• Ok so I just started playing is anyone else I am climing up the bord like crazy seems to easy. all so can I be attack if so will I know this is fun but I fill like I am playing by myselve.

by Dogfood95 on May 10, 2012 at 5:18pm

• hi :P

by bailey on June 8, 2012 at 06:56am

• im back!!!! :)
    theres a new turn thingy thats a little confusing but im sure ill get the hang of it.

by DDD on June 19, 2012 at 3:13pm

• turn on thingy ???
    everything shows up a ok.
    [do u c what i did there a ok]
    [say A-ok]

by bailey on July 2, 2012 at 07:29am

• i mean that u hav turns and not time
    and id like to know whats up with the karma stuff??

by DDD on July 6, 2012 at 12:51am

• yeah thx DDD ! somebody that understands my thoughts ! [ is the the post right above this one ]
    I look forward to seeing more posts from you DDD

by bailey on July 8, 2012 at 06:36am

• karama is the number of positive comments you leave. eg 0 no good comments 1000 really good comments...

well i think ???
    oh and yeah the turny on thingy i totally get u

by bailey on July 8, 2012 at 06:38am

• hi :P

by bailey on July 10, 2012 at 7:20pm

• I had a lot of plans for karma, as far as giving users with good karma extra abilities on the site and more options and so on. I may get something implemented to that effect still. I just have not gotten it done yet.

World Domination should get some work done on it soon as well (cross my fingers).

by harley on July 22, 2012 at 5:44pm

• I removed the message about waiting times, so hopefully that should clear up some confusion.

by harley on July 25, 2012 at 01:15am

• yep !!!

by bailey on August 8, 2012 at 10:42pm

• Kinda wanted to play, signed up, with no luck towards playing.....

by willkarol on October 10, 2012 at 7:27pm

• I will look into this.

by harley on April 6, 2015 at 05:32am

• Can't believe I haven't logged in for 4 years.

Just winning W.D. that j could never do back when I played regularly on here in 2007/08/09. Hahaha

Sad this site is dead-ish.

by nzadamnz21 on May 30, 2015 at 07:48am