Username: Password: Remember me Lost Password / Register

Fourth time's a charm, right?

Games Forums > Site News and Feedback > Fourth time's a charm, right?
  • In August of 2004, after nearly 9 months working everyday on a browser game, I decided I needed to take a break. Games that don't suck was born. This is the third major overhaul of the code, and the fifth design.

Wanna take a trip back in time? This was the original layout, a throwback to the retro free standing arcade games of the 70's and 80's you might find in 2-bit arcade parlors. It didn't take but several months and the site outgrew the design a bit. Early in 2005 came the first redesign, a muddled gray which did a good job of drawing attention towards the games. That's about all it did. I grew tired of it, and I could tell not too many other people were really digging it either. Mostly I could tell because I kept getting emails telling me the design stunk. I agreed.

As with many things, best said by The Simpsons, "Move it bub, we got an installation to installate". This was, and might still be, my favorite of the designs from a visual perspective. It was also the most graphic heavy, which is to say it had a header and a tiny background image. I found a guy who did a neat header for me with a little fella reminiscent of Spock from Star Trek, so that spiced things up a bit. Still, graphic heavy as gtds.net had been. I've never been a fan of graphic heavy designs, too much fluff and hell on dial-up users. Yup, alot of people still used dial-up, and still do believe it or not. That layout also wasted a good deal the page, no matter how I moved things around. With neat new games coming out almost daily now, space was quickly becoming a premium.

Midway through 2006 I finished recoding the entire site, cleaning up alot of hacked together and sloppy code, and meanwhile swapped out to yet another design, fourth in the series.

Since then, it's looked very much the same, however a user system was implemented in 2007 along with some forums, adding some competition and a way for the community to talk to each other. I also wrote a very simple, and very incomplete game I dubbed "World Domination", after seeing a forum game in which players would vote countries in and out by simply giving out or taking away points. It didn't catch alot of fire, seeing as it was very incomplete and there was little skill involved. Still it gained a minor following. When more time allows, I fully plan to develop it out into a more complete game. I think I said that in 2007 when I came out with it too. Hah.

That brings us up to the present. Major overhaul to the website - a new design, and a fully rewritten user system. The biggest new feature being an integrated comment and bulletin board system. Many more neat things soon to follow.

Stay tuned!

by harley on February 8, 2009 at 02:22am

• I like the redesign. :)

by Ullallulloo on February 14, 2009 at 1:42pm

• im just commenting to say i love your website sooooo much !!! ;)
    SAME AS Ullallulloo

by bailey on May 27, 2012 at 03:12am